PUBLIC SERVICE AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES (including past service):
American Inns of Court, Robert W. Calvert Chapter, (President 2018-19, Membership Chair 2011-2014, Treasurer 2014-16, Executive Committee 2011-2020);
Board of Directors, Texas Legal Services Center (Chair 2011-2018);
Board of Directors, Austin County Bar Association (Chair, Judicial Screening Committee);
Board of Directors, Goodwill Industries of Central Texas;
Grievance Oversight Committee appointed by the Texas Supreme Court;
State Bar of Texas (Commission for Lawyer Discipline, District 9 Grievance Panel, Model Rules of Professional Conduct Drafting Committee, CLE Planning Programs Faculty);
Life Fellow, State Bar Foundation;
American Society of Law, Medicine and Ethics;
Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers;
President, Mexican American Bar Association of Austin;
President, LULAC Council #650 and Presiding Chair, LULAC State Appellate Committee.
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
1) "Ethics Update and Tactical Considerations in Grievance Defense," Back to Basics CLE: Answers to Basic Questions All Lawyers Need to Know, Travis County Women Lawyers' Association (April 20, 2012);
2) "Barratry and the Grievance Process," Solo/Small Firm Half-Day Seminar, Austin Bar Association (2012);
3) "So, You Are Starting Your Own Law Practice," DuCloux and Medina, State Bar of Texas Webcast (2011);
4) "Avoiding the Grievance Process," Solo & Small Firm Section Seminar, Austin Bar Association (February 2009);
5) "Professional Practices From Intake to Closeout: Avoiding False Steps along the Way," Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference, University of Texas at Austin School of Law (October 2006)
6) "A Nuts and Bolts Guide to the Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure” 2006 Telecom, Cable and Wireless Conference, University of Texas at Austin School of Law (March 2006 )and 2006 Consumer and Commercial Law Program, State Bar CLE Program (Oct. 2006)
7) "Responding to Independent Auditors-- Protecting the Attorney-Client and Work Product Privilege,” Advanced Commercial and Consumer Law, State Bar of Texas CLE (1999)
8) "Ethics in Litigation," Advanced Civil Litigation, University of Houston Law Center (1992-1998)
9) "The Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure: An Issue for the Minority Attorney?" 55 Texas Bar Journal 964 (1992).
10) "Rejected Claims Litigation for the Receiver," Legal Issues Involved in the Liquidation of Insolvent Insurers, Texas Department of Insurance Outside Counsel Seminar (August 1992)
11) "Pitfalls of & Prosecuting and Defending Claims Before the Receiver for the State Board of Insurance and Appeals,” State Board of Insurance Program (January 1991)
12) “Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct: Additional Liability for Texas Lawyers?” 21:3: St. Mary’s Law Journal 733 (1990) cited in Vernon's Annotated Texas Statutes
RECOGNITIONS AND HONORS
Mr. Medina has been honored by the Texas Supreme Court and the Court's Grievance Oversight Committee for his service to the Court and profession (See picture). Other recognitions and honors include:
1. 4 State Bar of Texas Presidential Citations;
2. Professionalism Award given jointly by the Austin County Bar and the Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism;
3. Master Emeritus (2020) and Inaugural Presidential Citation awarded by the Robert W. Calvert, American Inns of Court;
4. AV Preeminent (highest) rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
He is also a regular speaker on ethics and other practice related areas for law schools and bar associations (representative articles and presentations listed below).